Friday, September 27, 2013

In Nepal, Everything is Uphill

Another week, another couple of dollars.

This is our second day in Chautara, which is a treat. 

The last week has been alright.  I'm still hacking, and our cookstove isn't being improved for another couple of weeks, so I'll have to live with it for a while longer.

School is getting harder, as we've now introduced Sanskrit, and our teachers now exclusively write in it, as well.  The rate of learning has definitely slowed.  

Today is a day off, so we came into town early-momos, shopping for fabric, a stop at the bakery, then a stop at the tailors to have my kurta surwal fitted.  

The equivalent of Christmas is coming up in a few weeks, so we are all trying to get nice stuff for the festivities.   It'll be exciting, but they warn us about all of the drunk men out on the roads, and also about eating the food that is prepared for the feasts-they set it out for hours before and after cooking, so it's pretty dangerous.  No one really mentioned what to do about the food, just to be careful, so I guess it'll be a spur-of-the-moment thing.  

We have about another 7 weeks, counting our time away for trainings, with our host families.  Everyone is saying that PST, these first 3 months, are the hardest part, so I'm just taking it a day at a time.  Once our cookstove is improved, and I clean and decorate my room, it will be superficially nicer, but there is still the problem of the privacy thing.

I do feel lucky, however, because some other trainees have very strict families.  Having a young "cool" mom has its advantages, I guess.

Tomorrow is another hub day, then we have a practical training (these are things like building stoves and planting gardens) in the middle of the week, then a half hub day on Friday-we are being spoiled for socializing this week!

Well, off to do other internet and take a hot shower.

Fill me on everything!

Love y'all

XOXO




No comments:

Post a Comment