Saturday, November 9, 2013

Hospital Corners in Nepal

2/11/13


Well, it’s been quite a week.

The last few days before we left for Kathmandu dragged by-I was counted hours and minutes until my last language class was over. 

Once we were out of class, I went down to Tulloghaun to visit my old family.  I was worried that my Didi would be mad at me for not visiting for 2 weeks, but the whole family greeted me with joy.  We had tea, cookies and fruit, chatted (as much as is possible), drew and wrote a bit, and then my Didi (knowing how much I love baby goats) brought one in for me to cuddle with-what a joy!

The next morning Elizabeth and I walked in early to Chautara, had a leisurely milk tea, checked our emails and then got on the bus!! 

Our first stop was Bhaktapur, which is about an hour outside of Kathmandu.  It is the most historical part of Nepal-full of grand squares, palaces and temples.  It was wonderful to walk around and see beautiful buildings.  There were a lot of tourists around, which was strange, but I didn’t mind.  Some other volunteers got all high and mighty about “touristy places,” but the fact is that we’ve all been tourists once in our life, and these places are touristy for a reason-because they are important and interesting.  For lunch I had the whitest sandwich ever-white break with one slice of cheese, one egg, one slice of tomoato and a whole lot of mayonnaise-I was worried about what this said about the food I could expect in Kathmandu, but was ultimately relieved of that worry.

After Bhaktapur we proceeded into the city.  As you get closer, the air gets thicker and dirtier-I can’t imagine living there, even with all the benefits of living in a big, capital city.  Our hotel was very nice, although the lack of a pool (I didn’t have very high expectations) was disappointing.  Everyone broke up into groups to go out into Tamal (the touristy area of Kathmandu, which we were staying near) for dinner.  Tamal is very weird.  It’s very cool to look at, full of old building and shops that I actually wanted to shop in, but it’s also full of tourists.  It felt really liberating to be able to speak Nepali when none of the other foreigners could.  Also, Tamal houses restaurants that serve other kinds of food besides Nepali!  The first night we went to Italian, the second to a vegetarian Mediterranean place and the third night for pizza-such a delicious treat!  Honestly, just having to choose something from a menu was a bit overwhelming, but in a wonderful way! 

The second day we had a scavenger hunt through the city, in groups of 5, so that we might get acquainted with public transportation and important places in the city.  I was scared to do it, but then felt a great sense of accomplishment when we finished (4th out of 5 teams…). 

We did not have a lot of free time, which was a little ridiculous.  From 8:30-5 every day we had meetings and trainings, so any shopping/sightseeing/eating was done between 5 and our hotel curfew at 9.  The trip would have been a welcome vacation (despite how busy we actually were), and a lot of fun, had there not been an incident on our first night that threw a shadow over the rest of the trip.

Now, I can’t go into details for privacy and security reasons, but suffice it to say that there was a scary, violent incident involving a PCT.  The incident affected the whole groups’ morale and schedule for the rest of the trip and may have consequences for the rest of our PST.  No one was gravely injured, but PC was very upset with the group, and certain PCTs involved, leading to feelings of guilty, isolation, etc.  In addition, all of the emotional upheaval began to bring up other, non-related issues that the group has been dealing with.

Here’s the thing, we may be PC trainees/volunteers, but we’re all also people and people in groups don’t always get along.  From day one there have been cliques, gossip and the like.  It has been hard on a lot of people, including me.  Even in high school I was not good at dealing with how disingenuous people were when it came to popularity, etc.  Every new school type situation I’ve been in since, I’ve been frustrated by the return of that kind of dynamic, and, unfortunately, PC is no different.  It sucks to feel left out, and some people are definitely feeling that way.  We had a session to talk about all of this, but, I fear, more issues were brought up than were actually solved.  I just hope that we can hold it together for the rest of PST.  After PST, we’ll probably be so happy to see another American that we won’t care whom they are, or what “group” they are in!

So, altogether, Kathmandu was interesting, stimulating and tasted delicious, but emotionally and physically exhausting.  I think everyone was glad to get back to their little villages yesterday afternoon, I know that I was. 

I hope our next trip to Kathmandu is soon (which will mean that PST is over!!!) and that it goes much more smoothly. 

XOXO

Zoop

P.S. In Nepali “Boot” means both “past” and “ghost”-isn’t that cool?!







No comments:

Post a Comment